Leak detection is very important because no matter what size the leak is, it can be very costly. Here are a few steps you can do to try and fix the leak before calling a professional Gilbert plumber.
1. Check your pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. If you are not able to remove the drain pipe to check, the best option for leak detection is listening for a hissing sound.
2. You can check your toilets for any leaks by simply removing the top of the tank and listen. If you happen to hear a hissing sound try and locate where it is coming from and determine if you can repair it, if you can’t repair you will need to call a Gilbert plumber.
3. Another form of leak detection for the toilet is to add a couple drops of food coloring to the tank. If after a few minutes there is food coloring in the toilet bowl, this means that you have a leak in the flapper at the bottom of your tank.
4. Leak detection of all hose bibs around the house could save you money. Check to see if there is water dripping, even the smallest amount of water is a leak.
5. Other sources of water leaks could be drip irrigation systems, taps and showerheads. Repairing a showerhead can be easy, but a drip irrigation system could be a little more difficult because locating the actually source of the leak may take a little longer.
6. Know that a leak can be very hard to locate sometimes, you might know the source it is leaking from, but trying to locate the leak within the source is the challenge. However, knowing the source of the leak can be very helpful to your Gilbert plumber.
7. Leak detection from a kitchen or bathroom sink might be a little easier than others because any signs of water underneath the sink are a good indication that you have a leak.
8. Many people tend to forget to check their swimming pools for leaks. Check the automatic filters for any problems or leaks, these types of leaks can be very costly.